Gilmour EPR
Email our office | 604-888-4200

USA Canada border crossing

What do I need to know before starting to sell from the USA to Canada?

Canada is a large market that loves U.S. goods. The consumer base is over 33 million people. This equates to a market potential of 15% for your U.S. sales. Canada is also the least expensive country to export from the USA because of its close proximity. Nearly 80% of Canadians are located within 60 miles of the U.S.-Canada border.

How can I get started?

First, you will need to become a Non-resident Importer (commonly referred to as an NRI) – meaning that although you will not have a physical presence in Canada such as a residence or storefront, you will perform the role of the importer to make it easier for your potential customers to purchase your goods online.

We recommend that you contact Pacific Customs Brokers Also, you need to obtain a Business Number and most importantly a Goods and Services Tax Number (which is a sub number of the Business Number). We help you with that part.

What are my Tax reporting responsibilities?

As the non-resident selling in to Canada, you will collect sales taxes from your Canadian customers and remit them to the federal and provincial authorities. We help you get set up with those systems and train you to do them in your accounting team after we have guided you through the first few returns.

How do I become a properly registered business to sell into Canada?

You will need to register for doing business in Canada, which primarily means getting a federal business number but can also mean getting provincial sales tax numbers and other related registrations such as income tax and payroll tax if you have staff in Canada.

Our guide to Canadian taxes is on the bottom of this page. Please feel free to call us at 604-888-4200 or fill out the form to the right and our non-resident importer desk concierge desk will get right back to you.

Does Gilmour Group CPA provide services for all setup requirements for non-residents selling to Canada setup requirements?

Yes! With a little help from our friends, we can help you sort out sales taxes, income taxes, importing and customs, legal business structure, immigration and transportation moves from all over the world. Our Tax Experts can review where you are located and where you are selling to maximize the tax savings in the tax treaties available to you.

Contact us to find out how we can reduce your tax costs.

Please tell us about yourself

    Your name. (required):

    Your phone (required):

    Your email (required):

    Your company (required):

    Are you incorporated?

    What is your annual sales volume range?
    $1 to $100,000$100,000 to $1,500,0000$1,500,000 to $6,000,000More than $6,000,000

    What is your projected sales volumes range outside Canada?
    $1 to $100,000$100,000 to $1,500,0000$1,500,000 to $6,000,000More than $6,000,000

    What is your plan?
    Importing or planning to import to CanadaExporting or planning to export from CanadaOther

    If "Other" was selected above, please explain:

    What is your tax question? (required)

    Just checking to make sure you're human...

    Download the Doing Business in Canada Guide

    Please sign up below to download your free guide. You will receive the direct download link in the confirmation email so please look for that in your inbox (or junk - it does happen).

    . . . .